Saturday, October 31, 2020

6th & 7th Weeks - The 4th and Last AC Treatment

 I really love having my normal days. I didn’t exercise, but I got a lot of other stuff done. My normal days are coming up again, so I hope to make some treadmill and yoga time a priority. Leading up to my last AC chemo treatment was rough if I gave it any thought at all to getting my chemo. I can’t explain why, except that I really feel it’s a mental thing. The thought of getting the Adriamycin “Red Devil” pushed into my port just made my stomach churn. I discussed it with my Dr. and she mentioned a drug that she usually doesn't like to give. I suggested maybe using the same medicine that she had given me during my last treatment. We agreed to try that. She was happy with most of my blood work. The most concerning thing was that my platelets were down to 107,000. Normal range is 150,000-350,000. When it gets below 100,000, she will sometimes postpone treatments. So prayers that my platelets are high enough to continue treatment next time would be appreciated. They gave me the extra medicine first, so it would start taking effect. Probably a good thing. I was fine until they started getting ready to push the “Red Devil”. I requested the ice to freeze my mouth while they pushed it, but I had to be cautious because I would start to gag while chewing the ice. Once they were done with that part, I was better. That’s part of the reason I know it's a mental thing. What goes through the IV, I don’t have the problem with. Even writing about it a week later makes me feel miserable. Here are a couple pictures of my last Adriamycin and Cytoxan. The meds definitely started working, and I was sleeping through the last part of my treatment. 

Cytoxan

Red Devil



I had started a puzzle before my treatment, hoping I would still be motivated to work on it during my tired days, but I just didn’t have the physical energy or the mental capacity to handle it. It’s amazing how much chemo takes out of you mentally. I had grand plans to fix a breakfast for myself a week after treatment, but the energy just wasn't there. I did it the next day though, which worked out perfect.

The next phase of my treatment is the Taxol. That first appointment will be a long session. Because there is such a high risk of allergic reaction, they give you antihistamines and give you the Taxol slowly the first time. That way if you have a reaction, they stop the Taxol, and push more antihistamines, then restart the Taxol more slowly. I’m also signed up for a clinical trial that will compare the difference between wearing a temperature controlled glove and sock on one side, and using ice water on the other. That’s to reduce the neuropathy (numbness and tingling) that often occurs as a result of Taxol. Sometimes the neuropathy goes away, sometimes it’s more permanent, so this is an effort to reduce the risk of permanent neuropathy. 

4 comments:

  1. We continue to pray, Crystal, asking for His peace and patience to fill you up as He completes your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, I am continuing to pray for you daily. You are on my dailey priority "HIT LIST".
    Luke 18:1-18
    Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’

    4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”

    6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?

    I will not give up...May God continue to strengthen you spiritually, physically and emotionally as HE HEALS you!

    ReplyDelete

3 Years